R RRlogoYAL RANGERS KUALA LUMPUR #1 Calvary Church, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia


Developing the Total Boy for Christ


Mount Kinabalu 25th Anniversary Climb
20 - 23 February 2007

Seventy five (75) from our Church participated in our 25th Anniversary Mount Kinabalu Expedition on the 20 - 23 February 2007. Praise God for a successful expedition and for the 48 who reach Low's Peak.
Report by Lam Kah Leong
On the 20-23 February 2007, the Royal Rangers organized an expedition to climb to the summit of Mount Kinabalu in conjunction with our Royal Rangers 25th Anniversary celebrations. Seventy five Royal Rangers, family members and Calvarites including our Senior Pastor Prince Guneratnam, our Chaplain, Associate Pastor Steven Kum and Associate Pastor Richard Yun participate in the expedition.

On 20 of February, the participants woke up very early to catch the flight to Kota Kinabalu. As they gathered in the airport before boarding the plane you could feel the excitement, the fear and the anxiety of most of the participants because this was the first time many were trying to conquer the highest mountain in South East Asia. We reach Kota Kinabalu and had lunch before traveling by bus to Kinabalu Park Headquarters. After a 2 hour journey to the Park HQ, the participants were assigned their rooms and they had the whole day to themselves to enjoy the coolness of the air and to see the view of the summit that they were going to conquer.
Associate Pastor Richard Yun shared a devotion to inspire and encourage the participants for the climb ahead after our buffet dinner. There was a final briefing from the Park guides and the team leaders followed by prayer by Senior Pastor before we returned to our room. Senior Associate Pastor Petrina Guneratnam was also there to support us on our expedition.

The next morning, all of the participants got ready with their things for the hike and at 8am, they were at the Timpohan Gate ready to start the journey up to Laban Rata where they will rest for the night before the hike up the next morning at 2am to the summit. It took some of the participants only 4 hours to reach the Laban Rata and eventually everybody made it safely.
At 2am the next morning, everybody was up and ready for the journey up to the summit. The journey up was very physically demanding because of the lack of sleep for some members and the steep gradient of the slop. Some of the members turn back because of the strain and altitude sickness but 48 members made it to the top of the mountain to watch the sunrise. The scenery was breath taking and everybody took plenty of pictures.



Senior Pastor made it to the top and everyone wanted to be photographed with him at the summit. We were all glowing with joy and gratefulness to God that He has helped them to reach the top.
After taking pictures and absorbing the amazing creation of our Lord, we stared heading back down to the Park HQ. At the HQ, we took a bus back to Kota Kinabalu to spend the final night.
We had a very delicious seafood dinner and time certificates were given out to all the participants who climb the mountain. After that, the group had a short time of testimonies to share about their experience and how God has blessed them tremendously. We had a very enjoyable night with the fellowship among friends.
The next morning, everybody went for a little shopping spree to buy souvenirs and then headed back to the airport for their flight back to Kuala Lumpur. All glory and honor to God.
More picture available at the Kinabalu Gallery
Read the report on our 1st Kinabalu Expedition